Additions and alterations

How do additions and alterations affect your warranties?

Any changes to the original house structure will invalidate your NHBRC enrolment and insurance cover.

Where to get approval for additions and alterations

You must have your engineer-designed plans approved by your local council’s Plan Department, and you must inform your bank and the NHBRC of any planned additions or alterations to your original house. Before starting construction, you must also renew your NHBRC enrolment and submit the new NHBRC certificate to your bank and insurer.

What is allowed?

The builder you appoint must be registered with the NHBRC. Please exercise extreme caution and compliance with double-storey houses and boundary walls especially, as these pose a serious safety risk if done incorrectly! Beware not to encroach on stand boundaries.


The municipality has the right to lay services on and under your property. Such services would typically be the municipal sewer system, Eskom poles, sewer holes and electrical boxes. A servitude indicates where these services are. You are not allowed to build on a servitude.

Building lines

A building line is a part of your erf, or stand, that you are not allowed to build on. Municipalities can relax these building lines and allow homeowners to build over the lines, but only if you apply for the relaxation of the building line at your local council. You must wait for their approval before you may start any construction.


The recommendations herein are given in good faith and are meant to guide the user. The recommendations imply no guarantee since the conditions of use and method of application are beyond our control.